Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

This weekend Britt Bury is the guest author and shares her experience at the Romantic Times conference

Our guest author this weekend is Britt Bury.
Britt Bury writes paranormal romance where the immortals are fierce, the stakes are high, and desire can be deadly.
Britt was raised in Corvallis, Oregon and attended Oregon State University majoring in Liberal Studies. When her dream of being a professional karaoke star and Elvis impersonator didn’t pan out, she turned to writing. She currently lives in the Silicon Valley with her brilliant husband, two sons and an obscene amount of fish. 

Britt's first paranormal romance releases July 3, 2012 with Grand Central's imprint: Forever Yours. Britt is represented by Jill Marsal of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency. 

ON THE DARKEST DAY

ALL-CONSUMING DESIRE . . .
Izel Campbell was raised to believe she is an immortal Fionn with the magical skills of persuasion. But when she travels to Scotland to visit her ancestral home, Izel discovers that she is actually the world’s last living human. Forced to run for her life, Izel crosses paths with Kelvin Kerr, the Campbells’ greatest foe—and the most magnificent warrior she has ever seen.
BURNS BRIGHTEST . . .
A thousand-year-old battle chief of the Kerr clan, Kelvin lives only to avenge his father, who died at the hands of the bloody Campbells. Honor demands he kill the Campbell heir, but when he learns that the lovely Izel is both Campbell and human, Kelvin is torn between duty and desire . . .


Britt shares her RT experience
 
The “Glamorous” side of RT
First I want to thank Tessa so much for having me! Many people have been talking about how amazing RT was this year. They’d be right, it was so much fun! However, this was my first conference and for a debut author with an anxiety problem, I had more than a few slip ups along the way. I figure, what better way to share a mortifying moment than a first person recall:
As I painfully shimmied my way to oversized chair where I would meet my editor for the first time, I cursed myself once again for my choice in shoes. I was one step and a pair of four inch heels away from falling flat on my face. I also didn’t understand how my skirt could have shrunk in my suitcase on the plan ride over. I swear…it fit a few weeks ago…
But there I was, taking miniature strides (partly because the skirt didn’t allow much room to actually move my legs and partly because I was already teetering in stilettos I couldn’t afford in the first place). Maybe my editor wouldn’t see through the fa├žade I was weaving—wouldn’t notice I was really a tee-shirt and tennis shoe kind of girl. No, not tonight! Tonight I was a polished professional who didn’t snort while laughing or accidently curse out loud when nervous.  
By the time I walked across the hotel lobby and reached our meeting ground, anxiety had fully set in. And I don’t mean that cute, “Oh, I have butterflies in my stomach,” kind of thing. No. This was sticky skin, wheezing and pit stains to my waist kind of terror. (Too graphic? Sorry, but I feel you need to know the truth). Despite my best efforts to be carefree and classy, I ended up a nervous wreck with a sweating problem even my husband’s man deodorant that I stole from him couldn’t handle.
“Brittney?” my editor asked.  Oh my god, she was gorgeous! All I could think was, ‘since when did they start hiring models as editors?’ I tried to mask the intimidation I was feeling, but all I could do was nod (by nod I mean shake my head in some random way that resembled more of a seizure than agreement). “So nice to meet you!” she said, and motioned for me to sit.
I sat.
Big mistake.
The button on my skirt flew off and skidded across the room. I panicked, hoping no one noticed. Trying to calm my breathing, I focused on not fidgeting—didn’t work—and sitting in a way that would not show my gaping skirt ripping further.
But all I accomplished was looking like a drippy, hyperventilating amateur with a hemorrhoid problem.
I sat, terrified and twitching and sweating bullets. At some point I’m pretty sure I started babbling about tattoos, “that one time on my 18th birthday” and asked, “Oh! Do you have a tramp stamp too?”
Yes…I asked my editor if she had a “tramp stamp.”
And to think, I was worried about being classy?
Despite all the angst and fear, my meeting and RT turned out to be a wonderful experience. My editor is such a good sport and so nice. She helped me loosen up and tackle my nerves. But if there is one thing I learned, it is that stepping outside your comfort zone is sometime necessary. Being writers, a lot of us like our privacy. We confine ourselves, not only inside our homes, but inside our minds. Our stories are our escapes, so stepping into the real world can be scary at times. But I’m glad I did. There are so many supportive people out there who are ready and willing to give you a pat on the back and kind words. And sometimes we forget that we need a small boost of confidence to realize things aren’t as terrifying as they may seem.
But keep your antiperspirant close just in case! 
Britt Bury April 18, 2012
Follow Britt on Twitter
Follow Britt on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment it will be published shortly.