Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Welcome to this Sunday's guest author Margarita Felices

Welcome to the blog Margarita, 

Tell us a little about yourself

I live in Cardiff, where my story is set, with my partner and three little mad dogs and I work for a well-known TV broadcasting company. I love living in Cardiff because, for all its modernisation, there are still remnants of an old Victorian city. Cardiff has such character.  When I can, I go out to the coast and take photographs, mind you, we have a lovely castle in the city centre and a fairytale one just on the outskirts, so when I feel I can’t write anything, I take a ramble to those locations and it clears my head.

I suppose it was inevitable that some day I would write a novel. My teachers at school used to limit me to no more than ten pages.  When I left school, I wrote short stories for magazines, and it paid my way through college.  I am Gothic; I love the fashion, the architecture and the music. The club in my novel is real. When I was writing book one, I got all my club material and clientele from here, I wouldn’t have finished that section without it.

There has always been a fascination in vampire stories and I wanted to write something different. I was fed up of the way women were portrayed as the weak female so I decided to write about a strong independent woman that was also a little vulnerable.



JUDGEMENT OF SOULS is a Gothic horror in which a naïve pure-blood Vampire is tossed into the mortal world. Rachel meets Daniel, a nightclub owner and his group of friends and after Daniel’s best friend is murdered by Max, Rachel’s ex, becomes embroiled in the search for an ancient vampire book. Rachel tries to fight off her feelings for Daniel, even siding with her Vampire friend Arun to think again about Daniel’s involvement, but he’s her love and she’s going to protect him, no matter what.

Excerpt

JUDGEMENT OF SOULS

Daniel and Rachel were lying on the blanket, looking up at the stars, one bottle of champagne already finished and the other half empty.  She wanted it to affect her so much; to experience the alcohol making her dizzy and to have that mortal moment just once.  Daniel had been talking for at least an hour non-stop about his life, the friends he lived with and what he wanted to do with the club in the future.  Rachel lay very still with her eyes closed, listening to his voice, losing herself in its tone, smiling at the way he would pronounce certain words and laughing at some points of his story.   “And that’s about it up until a few days ago.” 

            Rachel opened her eyes, “Don’t stop.”

            “Don’t stop what?” asked Daniel puzzled.

            “Talking, don’t stop talking.”  Everything that was going on in her life didn’t matter, she was lying next to the most incredible man and she just loved the sound of his voice.  It felt peaceful and serene and she didn’t want to change a single moment of her time right now.

            “Where are you from?” continued Daniel.

“Must I speak now?  I was enjoying laying here listening to you.”

“I’d like to know about you” said Daniel.

“Me? Well…I have a very complicated life,” answered Rachel. She knew she’d have to tell him something about herself; she just had to get it right and try not to give too much away.

“Complicated, eh?  Then we’ll start with something not so complicated.  Where are you from? You haven’t got an accent that I can pick up on” said Daniel.

“Why is it so important for you to know?  Don’t you think it adds a certain mystery?” she replied, hoping he’d take the hint.

“I was never one for mysteries.” Daniel sounded a little disappointed she didn’t want to share anything with him.

            Taking a breath and hoping not to give too much away, Rachel blurted out, “I’m just a girl, from nowhere in particular.”

He looked even more disappointed with her response.

 “My full name is Rachel de Grosnez,” she added.

“De Grosnez?  Not a local then?”  He said, joking.

“Are you making fun of me?” Rachel sat up and looked at him.

“Yes,” laughed Daniel.

            Rachel knelt next to him. “I don’t let anyone get away with doing that.”

“And you’re going to do what?” said Daniel, still mocking her.

“There’s only one thing for it,” she said seductively.

Daniel didn’t move - a kiss… from her this time.

But Rachel had other ideas.  Getting closer, she pushed her sleeves further up her arms and lunged at Daniel, tickling him on his sides near his ribs.  Daniel squirmed, grabbing her and doing the same, pulling her down, both laughing.  Then the tickling and joking stopped as they both stared at each other.  And Rachel hesitated, but only for a moment before kissing him.  At the same time, her blood pulsed through her veins like electric charges, she could feel her fangs ache, but it wasn’t Daniel, it was the same feeling that she’d had a few days earlier.  Had that vampire struck again?  Rachel closed her eyes and put her hand around his neck and pulled him down towards her, their lips not parting from each others.  Whatever that was, it was going to have to wait.

 ****

THE PSYCHIC

Beryl Parker grew up in the old world of fairgrounds and con artists. After years of wedded bliss with Charlie, they had managed the best con ever! But a year later, Charlie dies, leaving Beryl penniless and in hiding. One day while walking through a local market, she sees a sign for a fortune teller and sits nearby to listen in on what was going on. It was perfect! Such a great scam. It wasn't long before she's set up her own stall and five years later, she's living in a grand Victorian house in the best part of Cardiff. She has money in the bank and takes luxurious holidays. But Beryl should watch out who she reads to, because sometimes they come back for more.

Words From Margarita

When I began to write JUDGEMENT OF SOULS I realised that readers may want some background knowledge of my characters. So book two will reflect the time when Rachel left the safety of the vampire colony and end where I pick up at the start of JOS 3, which will span over 300 years.   Then I will go back further, to the lives of her parents, their fight in the Crusades, how her parents met, finding the Book of Cain, the birth of Rachel and then Max's arrival, stealing the Book and Rachel’s parents being banished.

THE PSYCHIC was a story I wrote for a magazine when I was in college.  It was a lot shorter; it had to fit on one page so it was heavily edited.  I was so happy to bring it out of mothballs!  Beryl is such a character, I may write another story about her one day, perhaps before the visit, leading up to it.  Or perhaps what happened to her afterwards.



THE STORY OF MY HEART is a new story just released.  It’s about second chances and it’s my first romantic story.  I’m very excited, I hope someone likes it.

AN END NOTE.

Don't give up. If you have a story that is dying to be told, then work hard to tell it. But make sure you are doing your best work and you get an editor that can help you make the most of your manuscript.

Don’t give up even though you may get rejection letters.  If everyone thought like that there’d be no books, no films.  Keep writing, even if its dribble! Then read, re-read and edit.  Try and write a little each day.  One hundred words a day is seven hundred a week, twenty-eight hundred a month and one hundred words a day is so simple!   And carry a Dictaphone or a notebook and pen!

BUY the books

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/208347

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085MKCYE

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Psychic-ebook/dp/B0085MKCYE

Find Margarita online:


Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/JudgementOfSouls3TheKissAtDawn  

Twitter @felicm60

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment it will be published shortly.