Pages

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Welcome to Lord Dominic today from Borderland Legacy




Today Samantha Holt has brought along Lord Dominic, so welcome to you both.

Hi, Lord Dominic,  thank you for dropping by

I hope you do not mind, but I brought my author along with me, should we have any communication difficulties. Your modern tongue can be difficult to understand. *offers a hand* I am Lord Dominic of Thornewall. ‘Tis a pleasure to meet you.

I'll start with the interview questions:
 If you were a Star Trek® [or Star Wars® ] character, which one would it be?
 
I’m not familiar with these characters but my author tells me I’d be Han Solo.  That’s a strange name.

What three things would you take to a Desert Island?
 My lady wife, my sword and a vast quantity of ale.

What is the one word in your vocabulary that you use excessively?
I curse too much. Luce scolds me for it. 

Craziest/weirdest place you’ve had sex?
I should not be saying this—Luce will have my head—but I courted a fine widow in London some years ago. We may have had a small liaison in the Tower of London.

Your favorite song?
 I could not name it but I cold hum it.  ‘Twas a troubadour song that I first danced with Lucy to.

 If you could be a superhero, what would you want your superpowers to be? 
I’m not sure what you mean by a superhero. *turns to Samantha and whispers* Ah, well I would not complain if I had more strength and…uh… extra stamina. *Winks*

What do you consider are your strengths?
I have a fairly even temper and I’m usually able to make the best of any situation.

Women/Men or Cars?
Cars? Women, naturally. Though only one now. *grins*

 Have you ever been skinny dipping?

Aye. There is a lake not far from my castle and my brother and I spent many years swimming in it. 

Have you ever been in a fight?
Indeed! Many a fight. I won all of them too… well, almost all of them. *chuckles* My brother is a great deal bigger than me.

 How do you decide if you can trust someone?
Lucy, will say I trust too easily, but I find the easiest way to discover how trustworthy a person is to greet them with open arms. 

Thank you for coming to visit today!
I thank you for having me, my lady. *bows*

I have some questions now for your author;
Welcome Samanatha,
Where do you get your inspirations for your stories and/or your characters? 
Usually one theme and it builds from there. So Borderland Bride came about because I wanted to write a story with communication problems and Borderland Beauty was partly because I knew Dominic needed a story but also I wanted to write a heroine with self-confidence issues. I don’t really know how it happens but I take that idea and something usually comes along!
Do you prefer to write individual novels or novels that are in series (and why)?
I used to prefer doing stand alones. I often felt the characters should be left alone after their happy ever after, but now I’ve complete the Borderland Legacy series (the third book is coming out this year), I’m a big fan of series. All of the books can be read on their own which is important to me but I love the fullness of the world I created. It was very hard to leave it.
What characteristics do you want to embody in your heroes/heroines?
Strength, courage, kindness. Some of my heroines have been softer characters but I always try to purvey their inner strength.
Do you have a favorite among your books or a favorite character in one of your books? If so, why are they a favorite?
Borderland Bride will always be my favourite. It’s not perfect but I love the characters and it was a story that I fell deeply in love with. I tried to create a storyline that I hadn’t read before and I love the slow build of the relationship between Jake and Isabel. I am still very much in love with Jake too!
What type of research do you do before writing a novel?
I usually go in depth with the setting. For example, in the Borderland books, I pulled up pictures and floor plans of castles in the area and also dug into the history at the time. I have a strong knowledge of the medieval era but it always helps to refresh it and each new setting brings new things to research. If I can visit the area, I will.
Have you written a book (or had an idea for a book) that was different than what your fans are used to seeing from you?  If so, were you afraid of its success?
My next book, Not Another Soldier, is my first full length contemporary romance. It’s very different for me. It’s written in first person which I’ve never done before but it seemed to come to me that way and it has elements of my life in it, which again none of my books have, aside from settings I’ve visited. I am very nervous about this leap.
What concerns do you have as an indie author as far as marketing, promotions, acceptance, reviews, etc?
I’m a hybrid author and actually my indie releases are much easier to promote purely because of the element of control and actually it seems to be quite cool to be indie right now. But I do find being an indie historical writer isn’t as well accepted. I think historical writers are more traditional so I will continue to release both independently and traditionally published books.
As women, we often are pulled in so many different directions.  How do you balance writing with the other facets of your life?
Oh don’t I know it! LOL I am not very good at balancing it. I get stressed very easily when I feel I’m not pulling my weight in other parts of my life.  I am getting better at it but I’m still learning. I try to have a strict routine that ensures I allow time with my family and time to concentrate on kids/housework/chores etc.
Thank you for dropping by today Samantha, lovely talking to you.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment it will be published shortly.